I was supporting my fiancé, a lovely and wonderful man named Ryan, at the Ironman Canada half. While there, I fell in love with the sport and the community that surrounds it. Competitive, but respectful and kind. I have to admit, I thought the whole thing was bananas to begin with.
I volunteered simply to be able to be with Ryan more throughout his race. Doing this afforded me the opportunity to give him his medal at the end. I was so proud to see him cross that finish line. Admittedly I think I was more tired at that point than he was.

My mom had mentioned she had a friend who had written a book about becoming a triathlete. “Triathlon for every woman” was a book that has, only 22 pages in, changed my outlook on athleticism. Meredith Atwood is me. Her with her “fat stranger”.
She discusses the decision to become a triathlete. And making the decision to do so is step 1. I decided. I’m in. Further, Ryan pointed out to me that there is a half IM in Augusta. That’s it. I was sold. I can go home! I can compete! I know the swim, the run, and the bike. My first goal is to compete in the 2020 Augusta half. While also trying to have a child and working full time. I’ve got this. I will be the athlete. I will do this race alongside my sweet husband.

Today when I got home I received my new running shoes he got me for my birthday. He doesn’t know it, but it’s one of the best presents I have ever received. His relentless support means the world to me. He believes in me more than I think I could ever believe in myself. This is happiness.
I volunteered simply to be able to be with Ryan more throughout his race. Doing this afforded me the opportunity to give him his medal at the end. I was so proud to see him cross that finish line. Admittedly I think I was more tired at that point than he was.

My mom had mentioned she had a friend who had written a book about becoming a triathlete. “Triathlon for every woman” was a book that has, only 22 pages in, changed my outlook on athleticism. Meredith Atwood is me. Her with her “fat stranger”.
She discusses the decision to become a triathlete. And making the decision to do so is step 1. I decided. I’m in. Further, Ryan pointed out to me that there is a half IM in Augusta. That’s it. I was sold. I can go home! I can compete! I know the swim, the run, and the bike. My first goal is to compete in the 2020 Augusta half. While also trying to have a child and working full time. I’ve got this. I will be the athlete. I will do this race alongside my sweet husband.

Today when I got home I received my new running shoes he got me for my birthday. He doesn’t know it, but it’s one of the best presents I have ever received. His relentless support means the world to me. He believes in me more than I think I could ever believe in myself. This is happiness.
Comments
Post a Comment